Monday 29 December 2014

TEN TAKEAWAYS FROM THE SHATTA MOVEMENT FAMILY'S SHOW IN ALAJO



It’s now 2:50 am in the morning. I am now entering home after the Lord answered my prayer to make my deeply-slept sister Ruwaida pick my call and help me with the locked gate. That prevented me from using the burglar approach of jumping the wall which I usually do. With my Quran chapter 12 on replay and my Zesta Plantation Fresh Strawberry tea in my jug, I decide to make my observations from the Shatta Movement Family show staged in Alajo dance to Rudeboy Ranking’s “Dan Banza” on my monitor.
1.     I hate a duicker called Shatta Wale. On the other hand, our elders say we should never fail to acknowledge its swiftness no matter how much we hate it. Never will I forget how his presence helped in unearthing musical talents in Nima-Maamobi and its environs. He has succeeded in awakening the giants in the youth albeit some of the noisemakers who claim they are also doing Dancehall.
2.     Rudeboy Ranking is a man from another planet. His performance at the show was the tour de force of the entire programme. He has succeeded in winning the hearts and souls of the Dancehall aficionados in town. I was left wondering whether I was not in town since I found myself numb when everyone was singing along when he was on stage. A consistent diligence will see him ripping off the musical charts and placing him on a high musical pedestal in few months to come.


3.     The 2011 VGMA Reggae-Dancehall artist of the year, IWAN,  has suffered a real dip in his hitherto fine run in form. On a different angular look, IWAN could just be facing the music of life which is full of vicissitudes. He is still cutting out positive and conscious-minded lyrical songs which show his class as a force to reckon with the Reggae-Dancehall industry.  After all is said and done, IWAN will bounce back. That I believe. If you are in doubt, be reminded that there was a Bandana now Shatta Wale as a reference point.
4.     Mr. Logic and his Shatta Movement Family are doing well. However, they could be more effective in their ambitions if they cast themselves off the insults and calumnies they heap on Shatta Wale each time they grab the microphone. I don’t see the youth kowtowing to their hackneyed story of bringing Shatta Wale to the lime-light and he usurping their Shatta Movement from them and bla bla bla bum bum bum.  And so what? They should just concentrate and move on. The youth have their ears clogged when it comes to bad-mouthing Shatta Wale. They won’t listen to anything save his good music and positive side.
5.     Vibrant Faya should do a thorough self-introspection to find out if music is really what he can do.  With all the money and resources being lavished on him by the Shatta Movement Family, all he could come out with is the “Mampi” tune that he has continuously tried to push down through our olfactory lobes? The guy should be serious if he wants to go far.
6.     And if there’s anyone one whom the organizers must get on the knees and thank fervently, then it is the New-Town boy Bastero. That guy’s performance was a terrible mystery on the night. He brought the show back to a heightened sense of vitality after a couple of clowns mounted the stage to give us gibberish noises. Bastero is full of energy and should work very hard.
7.     Our people from the Zongo should exercise restraint and learn how to settle issues patiently.  The fighting and belligerence will not take us anywhere. And the Juede guy should be mindful of the fact no matter what there will be misunderstanding in such enterprises and never should he bring out a gun no matter the atmosphere.
8.     For once I thought I was in a furnace considering the cloud of ganja smoke that was hovering around the whole place. The youth smoke beyond reason in modern day Ghana.  A serious step must be taken to stem these iniquitous acts. The nation cannot have its youth engage in wanton smoking bouts.
9.     Ras Kuku should move past the eccentricity he wants to be known with and come out of the cemetery he is noted to be living in. His is too talented to be lagging behind. Puom must also be seen and heard more massively.
10.                        Dancehall is still having its field day in Ghana music. If you don’t know  what Dancehall is, you surely know Reggae. Well, “Dancehall is a rough , immensely scratchy  ‘street’ style of Reggae.”

Inusah Mohammed.

NB: The writer is a National Service Person with the Graphic Communications Group Ltd.

No comments:

Post a Comment